Apple have release the key features of the new iOS 5 (some are brand new, some are just improved releases of the former versions found in iOS 4). Here are some of the highlights:
- Notifications – The notification feature in iOS 5 is a major improvement. The best thing Apple did was create a centralized notification center within the iOS 5Settings. You can toggle notifications on and off, select how many alert messages you want to display and even choose to have the notifications appear on your lock screen.
- Twitter - You can add your Twitter credentials into the Settings and tweet directly from Apple’s native applications like Safari or photos. The tweet option is found under the sharing panel that you use to send an item via email or messaging.
- Camera and Photo – The app included a grid to help you line up your shot and pinch-to-zoom so you can focus on an area very easily. One huge improvement is the use of the volume up button to take a picture.
- Reminders - The Reminders app does exactly what it says – it lets you add reminders for important tasks or events.
- Safari Mobile Reader and Tabs – Safari Mobile was updated to include full tabbed browsing,
- New Mail app includes Rich Text Formatting, indentation control, draggable email addresses, message flagging and many more
- New Game Center enhamcements: achievement points, access friends of friends, photos in your profile, game discovery, game downloads within Game Center, support for turn-based games like Words for Friends and Scrabble.
iOS 5, the latest version of the world’s most advanced operating system, includes over 200 new user features, and an updated SDK with over 1,500 new APIs and powerful new development tools. Developers may start implementing an incredible array of new features, including iCloud Storage, Notification Center, Newsstand, iMessage, Twitter integration, Game Center, and more.